OCTOBER 2013 SPECIAL!
For the entire month of October, I’m giving
1/3 OFF the price of
Reiki treatments when you join Well Healed!
Was $90 Now $60
Was $45 Now $30
Click here to join the club and get your discount (then contact me to book)!
What is Reiki?
Reiki is an energy-healing technique where your practitioner lays their hands on or above you and transmits healing energy to you while you lie in a state of blissful relaxation.
Sounds like weird hippy stuff? Several studies have documented the relaxing effects of reiki and it’s effect on mood and pain. This system of healing has been used in various guises for thousands of years.
The reiki that we practice today is based on the teachings of Mikao Usui, a Japanese Buddhist. He ‘rediscovered’ it in 1922 and began teaching students this system of healing. Over the years, reiki has spread across the world exponentially and the majority of people probably have access to a reiki practitioner in their area if they know where to look.
How does it work?
There is more to the human body than meets the eye. We are not just bags of flesh, skin and bones. Around our bodies is an energy field that is as integral to our health and well-being as our physical body. This energy system has been documented for thousands of years in traditional healing systems such as Chinese Medicine and Ayurvedic healing. Healing modalities such as acupuncture, homoeopathy, flower essences and exercise systems such as tai chi and qi gong all work on balancing and healing this energy field.
Our energy field, our mind and our body are connected and so the health of one effects the other. An imbalance in your energy field can lead to physical symptoms and unchecked physical conditions can, in turn, cause an imbalance in your energy field. The health of your mind, your thoughts and beliefs also play an important part. Negative thoughts and beliefs can become incorporated in your energy field, creating imbalance which is then passed on to your physical body.
You can see how important it is to maintain your health in all areas, treating yourself as a whole instead of a set of physical symptoms. At Well Healed, I aim to give you information and empower you to make choices that will benefit every aspect of your health.
A Reiki practitioner is a channel for the ‘Universal Life Force’, sometimes called chi or prana. The practitioner does not transmit their own energy to you but opens themselves up as a channel whereby healing energy from outside goes through them and into you. This energy then travels to where it is most needed.
What do I need to know?
Since Usui sent his teachings out into the world, many different schools of reiki have opened up, changes have been made and different systems have been born. They all share some commonalities though.
- You may remain fully clothed during your reiki treatment.
- Your practitioner may or may not touch you. Your energy field extends some distance outside of your body and they can work on any part of it. For this reason it is not necessary to make physical contact during the treatment. Many practitioners, however (including myself), will make some physical contact during your treatment to establish a nurturing bond. If you’re not comfortable with this, just let your practitioner know.
- You can have your treatment sitting, standing or lying down, whichever is most comfortable. I recommend lying down as this allows you to fully relax, however if you have a physical reason that prevents you from doing this, we can work around it.
- You may feel some heat or tingling sensations during your treatment or you may feel nothing. You’ll often find that certain muscles jerk or twitch indicating a release of energy. You may fall asleep! Rest assured that whatever sensations you do or don’t feel, you are still receiving the benefit of reiki.
- Reiki is a safe and gentle treatment. It is safe for kids and adults, pregnant women and will not interact with any medication that you are taking.
- Reiki can also be performed at a distance meaning that if you do not live near a practitioner, they can still give you a treatment – even from as far as another country. I once gave a treatment from Thailand to a lady in Poland. She reported that she felt so relaxed that she almost fell asleep in her lunch! Crazy, right?!
How can Reiki help me?
Because reiki acts on your energy field, its effects are far-reaching and it can benefit a whole range of physical and mental/emotional conditions. It also blends beautifully with other alternative therapies such as herbal medicine, homoeopathy, massage, kinesiology etc. Indeed it will often work best if you are treating a condition from several different angles (treatment of your mind, body and energy).
A reiki practitioner can not claim to cure any condition as they simply act as a conduit for the energy. The energy will go where it is needed most. You may go to have a reiki treatment to help with digestive problems and find that instead it helps your bad back!
Some of the conditions that may benefit from reiki are:
- Stress and anxiety
- Digestive disorders such as IBS
- Muscle pain
- Pregnancy aches and pains
If you or someone you know would benefit from a reiki treatment, please contact me. If you live around the Sunshine Coast or Hinterland area, I can come to you. If not, I will do a distance healing for you.
Got a question about reiki? Leave a comment below!
Disclaimer – this information is not intended to replace that of a qualified medical practitioner. If you are experiencing an undiagnosed illness or condition, please get a diagnosis from a medical practitioner.
by Mel Duncan