Forget packaged custard with all it’s additives and refined sugar – make your own. It’s easy and the perfect nourishing accompaniment to desserts.
Vanilla Bean Custard
Makes 2 cups
2 cups whole, unhomogenised milk (cow or goat)
4 egg yolks
1 tbsp rapadura sugar or honey
2 tsp arrowroot
1 vanilla bean
1. Pour the milk into a saucepan and begin heating.
2. Slice your vanilla pod lengthways and scrape the seeds into the pan of milk. Throw the pod in as well.
3. Bring milk almost to the boil and then remove from the heat. Allow the vanilla to infuse in the milk for about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile whisk up your egg yolks in a bowl.
5. Remove the vanilla pod from the milk and slowly pour the milk into the egg yolks, whisking as you go.
6. Return the mixture to the pan and add the honey or sugar.
7. Cook over a low heat, stirring continuously until slightly thickened. Do not allow to boil or the custard will curdle and go lumpy.
8. Sprinkle the arrowroot over the mixture and whisk it in.
9. Continue to stir and heat the custard until it has reached the desired consistency.
by Mel Duncan